Monday, September 15, 2008

Tattoos and Piercings

The first time my body was ever pierced was on my ears which is a common piercing to have. (Not only common for girls but for boys as well.) I got them pierced when I was in about the third or fourth grade. I wanted to get my ears pierced because every time I would walk into any sort of store the jewelry was always the first thing that caught my eye. I loved sorting through all the different sorts of earrings from the simple shiny studs to the long dangling outrageous ones. I can remember the first time I changed my earrings I nearly threw up and fainted. The idea of something going through one point in my skin and coming out at another made me pale as a ghost.
However my fear of changing my earrings quickly vanished and I was ready to get my ears pierced a second time. I wanted more holes in my ear because I have so many earrings that I can change them every day and have a different pair probably for two years straight. I absolutely love earrings and I love wearing them. So why not have two more holes to put them in?
I also recently got my cartilage at the top of my right ear pierced. I decided to do this because my friend who is also named Kayla and I wanted to have matching piercings to show our friendship. We did it on the same night one right after the other so that we could always be reminded of each other.
The other two piercings I have on my body I would say I got them in order to further decorate myself. My belly button was always a prime piercing spot in my eyes and I was always mesmerized when I saw older girls with theirs done. It took me months to convince my parents to let me. I begged and begged and finally won my case with the argument that it wasn't a tattoo and if they didn't like it I could take it out. Finally my mom took me to get my belly button pierced. I felt more mature and excited when I could look in the mirror and see a shiny ring hanging from my navel. I'm not sure exactly why but it made me feel complete. It made me feel more like me.
When I got my nose done I was 18 and didn't have to ask my parents this time. I like the shape of my nose and I thought a nice little nose ring would compliment it perfectly. Plus I really wanted to see how my parents would react when I came home with it. My dad thought he was really funny when he flicked it.
I don't have any tattoos yet but I intend to get some. I want to get a butterfly because it reminds me of my grandma. A few of my cousins also have butterfly tattoos commemorating her. It has sentimental value and so I know I will always love it forever. When I do get tattoos they will have important meaning and it won't be something I just picked off the wall of the tattoo parlor. I've always liked tattoos especially when they're on boys.
Some people in the world are against altering your body in any way. I think that what someones body looks like should be left up to that person. If you prefer an all natural type of beauty then more power to you. If you're like me and enjoy piercings or tattoos and even find them attractive than I support that as well. As long as what your doing with your body makes you feel beautiful then does it really matter what anyone else thinks anyways?

No comments: